Applies to Windows Mobile touch screen PDAs/phones.
IMPORTANT INSTALLATION NOTES:
22 MB of storage space are required for WISER and .NET. Another 17.5 MB are temporarily required on the device during installation, even if WISER is to be installed to a storage card. Installation errors are usually due to a lack of space; if an error occurs, please see the instructions below.
This README will be available in the WISER group of your PC's start menu when the installation completes.
· A Windows Mobile "Pocket PC" (touch screen) PDA/phone (Windows Mobile devices without a touch screen must download and install WISER for Smartphone)
· Pocket PC 2003 (version 4.x) or later devices are supported (includes Windows Mobile 2003 and Windows Mobile 5.0)
NOTE WELL: previous versions of WISER (up through v2.2) supported Pocket PC 2002 (version 3.x) devices. This is no longer the case. However, a WISER v2.2 download remains available to support that platform.
· Microsoft .NET Compact Framework (CF) 2.0 (automatically installed with WISER)
· A device with 64MB or more of RAM is recommended, though a 32 MB device is adequate
· Approximately 22 MB of storage space, either on the device or on an expansion card, for WISER and the Microsoft .NET CF
· Up to 8 MB of program memory to run the WISER application
· A personal computer with the following installed software:
o Device synchronization software. On Windows XP, Microsoft ActiveSync 4 or later is required. On Windows Vista or later, the required Windows Mobile Device Center is part of the Windows installation, however, on Vista, it must be upgraded to version 6 or later. For the latest versions of either, go to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/activesync/default.mspx.
o Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. The WISER for Pocket PC setup program will detect if this is present on your PC, and if not, will open a web browser and take you to the download page. Or, before running the WISER setup program, you may download and install it directly from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=79bc3b77-e02c-4ad3-aacf-a7633f706ba5&DisplayLang=en.
o Adobe Reader for viewing the WISER documentation that is install on your PC. You can download it for free from the Adobe website (http://www.adobe.com).
To determine the version of the device’s operating system, select StartàSettings, select the System tab, and then select About.
To determine the amount of memory on your device, from the same System tab, select Memory, and then the Main tab. If your device has an expansion card, you can go to the Storage Card tab to determine its free space.
Attention phone users: If your phone has a touch screen (you use a stylus to interface with the PDA on your phone), it is considered a Pocket PC; this includes Palm Treo's running Windows Mobile. If your phone does not have a touch screen (such as the Motorola Q and the Samsung BlackJack), it is considered a Smartphone, and you must instead install WISER for Smartphone.
If a previous version of WISER is already installed, see the "Upgrade Instructions" section below.
The WISER installation consists of two parts: installation to your desktop/laptop PC (documentation and files required for device synchronization), and installation to your Pocket PC device. After the PC portion of the installation, your device synchronization software will download WISER to your device and launch its installation. If your device is not connected, then the WISER installation will continue the next time it is connected.
1. Cradle/connect your device to your PC.
2. Download the setup program (WISER_PocketPC_Setup_full.exe) to your PC and run it.
3. The PC files, including this README and the User’s Guide, will be installed.
4. The Pocket PC setup program will start and install WISER onto your device.
5. Respond to prompts presented on your device, including whether WISER should be installed to the default location on the device, or an alternative location (e.g., a storage card).
6. Upon completion of the installation, run WISER by selecting the WISER icon in StartàPrograms.
ATTENTION Windows Mobile 6.x users: please ignore error messages related to installation of .NET CF; WISER will still be successfully installed. See below for additional details.
1. Download to your PC the WISER_PocketPC_Setup_full.exe setup program from the WISER website and run it (double-click it). This installs the WISER documentation to your PC, as well as the files that will be downloaded and installed to your device during synchronization. By default, these files are located under the folder "C:\Program Files\WISER\PocketPC", and consist of:
README.rtf (this file)
WISER User Guide.pdf
\DeviceInstallerFiles (files downloaded to the device during synchronization)
2. When the PC installation completes, the Pocket PC installation is launched. This will install the following:
a. WISER system dependencies: Microsoft .NET CF (Compact Framework) 2.0
b. WISER for Pocket PC application and database files
3. If the .NET Compact Framework is already installed on your device, you will first receive a prompt on your PC: “Microsoft .NET CF 2.0 is already installed. Do you want to proceed with the re-install/upgrade?” Answering “yes” is recommended to ensure that you have the latest version (for example, new service packs may be included). Windows Mobile 6.x users: please ignore error messages related to installation of .NET CF; WISER will still be successfully installed; see below for additional details.
The remaining details of the installation depend on whether you have a Windows Mobile 5.0 (or later) or Pocket PC 2003 device.
Regardless, upon completion of the installation, run WISER by selecting the WISER icon at StartàPrograms.
Because of the extensive amount of data that WISER provides, the initial startup may be lengthy while WISER initializes and loads data. Subsequent activations of the WISER application should occur instantaneously, as WISER will remain loaded, even if other applications are run, unless the Pocket PC’s operating system has need for additional memory or the device is reset.
Windows Mobile 5.0 or higher
NOTE: even if installation to a storage card is desired, the WISER installation files must still be temporarily downloaded to the device; if the installer presents a "Not Enough Space On Device" dialog, then cancel the installation and follow the instructions in the section below titled, "Resolving Installation Errors".
After completion of the PC portion of the installation, respond to any prompts presented on your Pocket PC device:
1. If you elected to re-install/upgrade the Microsoft .NET CF, a prompt will be presented indicating that the existing version will be removed before the new one is installed. Select “OK”.
2. If your device has a storage card, you will be prompted on the device to choose a location (Device or Card) to install each of the following:
a. Microsoft .NET CF 2.0 – this must be installed to the device
b. WISER for Pocket PC – note that optimum performance will be realized by installing to the device
3. An unknown publisher warning for the “WISER for Pocket PC.CAB” may be presented. Answer “Yes”.
4. You may be prompted to restart the device.
ATTENTION Windows Mobile 6.x users: your device already includes .NET CF 2.0; however, the WISER installer will still attempt to install it, resulting in the following error on the device:
“The .NET Compact Framework version you are attempting to install already exists in ROM.”
Simply acknowledge this error, and the subsequent “Installation of Microsoft .NET CF 2.0.CAB was unsuccessful” message. This does not affect the successful installation of WISER.
WISER is installed under the folder “\Program Files\WISER” on either the device or storage card, depending on what was selected for the destination.
Pocket PC 2003
1. A dialog will appear on your PC asking if you want to “Install WISER and other pending applications using the default application install directory?” By default, the WISER application files and database will be installed in your device’s main memory at "\Program Files\WISER". If space on your device is limited, you may need to consider placing WISER on an expansion card instead, if your device is so equipped. Note that optimum performance will be realized by installing to main memory.
a. Answer “Yes” to continue installation to the default location if your device meets the memory requirements, OR
b. Answer “No”. A “Select Destination Media” dialog is presented with a list of options. The default option will be “Main Memory”, and an indication of the amount of required and available space will be provided. If your device has an expansion card, it will be included as an option in this list, typically as “Storage Card”. Select the desired option and then press OK. On a storage card, WISER is installed under a folder “\WISER for Pocket PC”
2. The Pocket PC installer will proceed to download WISER and its dependencies to your device.
3. At completion of the download, an “Application Downloading Complete” dialog will be displayed on your PC and present the following message: “Please check your device for any additional operations that must be performed on the device to complete installation.” This is an indication that your device may be presenting additional dialogs to complete the installation. In particular, on some devices the installation of the Microsoft .NET Compact Framework may result in a Confirm File Replace dialog that displays messages similar to the following: “The file ‘\Windows\mscoree.dll’ is hidden, read-only, or a system file. Would you like to replace the existing file?” Answer this with the “Yes To All” option (“Yes” can also be selected, but this dialog may repeat for several other files.)
An upgrade is performed the same as a normal installation, but with the following considerations. Note that user settings (preferences and saved searches) will be retained.
1. Before attempting to install the new version of WISER, determine if your existing version is running on your Pocket PC device, and if so, stop it. This can be quickly achieved by simply performing a “soft reset” of your device (save any unsaved data first). Or, WISER can be explicitly shut down as follows:
e. If “WISER” appears in the “Running Program List”, select it, and then tap the “Stop” button
2. During the installation of the new version of WISER, you will see dialogs on your PC displaying the following notifications. In each case, select “Yes”, including for the Microsoft .NET CF 2.0 component, since the installation may include updates to it.
· “WISER for Pocket PC is already installed. Do you want to proceed with the re-install/upgrade?” (Upgrades of WISER 2.0 will not produce this prompt, but the upgrade will still automatically occur.)
· “Microsoft .NET CF 2.0 is already installed. Do you want to proceed with the re-install/upgrade?”
3. Windows Mobile 5.0 and higher devices: for both the Microsoft .NET CF and WISER for Pocket PC, dialogs will be present indicating that the previous version will be removed before the new one is installed. Select “OK”.
4. Windows Mobile 6.x devices: please ignore error messages related to installation of .NET CF; WISER will still be successfully installed.
5. Pocket PC 2003 devices: If there is not enough space on the device, this will be indicated on the Select Destination Media dialog by the Space Available and Space Required values. Press OK, and a “Not Enough Space on Device dialog” will be presented. Select OK to indicate that you want to continue anyway. The calculation of available space does not, unfortunately, account for the fact that the previous version of WISER will be removed, and thus that space is available. Therefore, continuation of the installation should be okay.
NOTE: previous versions of WISER required and installed Microsoft SQL CE and Microsoft .NET CF 1.1. They are no longer required, but must be manually removed. See the Uninstalling section below.
Resolving Installation Errors
This section describes the typical causes of installation errors and how to resolve them. If you cannot resolve your issue with these procedures, please visit the feedback page of the WISER website (http://wiser.nlm.nih.gov) and describe your problem.
SCENARIO #1: “Not Enough Space On Device” error is displayed on the PC.
This error is presented on the PC when it attempts to download the WISER installation files to the device, but there is not enough space. The message will include an indication of the amount of space available and the amount required. Note that even if the desire is to install WISER to an expansion card, space is still temporarily required on the device during the install.
1. Delete unneeded files and/or programs to free up space on the device
2. Manually install WISER to a storage card
If manual installation of WISER to a storage card is required, the procedure is as follows:
1. Using File Explorer on the PC, you can access the file system (including the storage card) of the connected device, and thus copy to the card the "CAB" files that must executed to complete the installation. The CAB files are available on the PC under
3. Select each CAB file to launch its installation.
4. Each installation will prompt for the location where the install should occur: the device or storage card. For .NET, choose the device; for WISER, choose the storage card.
5. The CAB files may be deleted after completion of the installation.
SCENARIO #2: “Installation of WISER for Pocket PC.CAB was unsuccessful” due to lack of space
This error is presented on the device. One of its causes is a lack of storage space: the device contains enough space to download the installer files, but there is not enough remaining space to complete the installation. (Another cause is a timeout; see scenario #3 below.)
Aside from deleting unneeded files and/or programs to free up space on the device, there are two solutions: install WISER to a storage card, or install WISER from the storage card to the device.
Install WISER to the storage card:
1. Repeat the installation.
2. When the device prompts for the location to install WISER, choose the storage card instead of the device.
Install WISER from the storage card. If the CAB files are executed from the storage card instead of the device, this will likely free up enough space to install WISER to the device.
The procedure is the same as the procedure above for scenario #1, in which the CAB files required for installation are copied to and executed from a storage card. When prompted for the location for the install, select the device or the card as desired.
SCENARIO #3: “Installation of WISER for Pocket PC.CAB was unsuccessful” due to a timeout
This error is presented on the device. One of its causes is the failure to respond to prompts presented on the device, and the installation eventually times out. (Another cause is lack of storage space; see scenario #2 above.)
When installation of WISER is launched on the device, a prompt will be presented indicating that the software is from an unknown publisher. In the case of an upgrade, there is also a prompt alerting that the previous installation is about to be uninstalled. If these prompts are not acknowledged, the install will eventually time out.
Repeat the installation. Once download to the device completes, be sure to monitor the progress of the install on the device.
SCENARIO #4: Windows Mobile 6.x devices: “The .NET Compact Framework version you are attempting to install already exists in ROM”
Windows Mobile 6.x devices already include the .NET CF that is included in WISER, but the WISER installer attempts to install it anways.
Simply acknowledge this above error dialog, and the subsequent “Installation of Microsoft .NET CF 2.0.CAB was unsuccessful” message. This does not affect the success installation of WISER.
Checking for Updates
By default, if an Internet connection is available, a check for a newer version of WISER will automatically occur each time you synchronize with your device. This option is user-configurable, and update checks can always be manually initiated.
The first time synchronization occurs following a WISER installation, a "WISER Update" dialog is displayed on your PC, prompting you to verify that WISER updates should automatically be checked for. If you answer "Yes", the WISER web site is checked for a new version of WISER each time you synchronize. If your installed version is the latest, or if an Internet connection is unavailable, this check will be transparent. If a new version of WISER is available, a "WISER Update" dialog will prompt if you would like to download it. If you do, a browser window will open at the download page of the WISER web site, and you can proceed with downloading and installing the new version. If you choose not to upgrade, then you will continue to be prompted each time you synchronize until an upgrade is performed.
The preference for automatic updates can later be changed, and regardless you can always manually initiate an update check. On your PC, go to the Start Menu, find the WISER program group, choose Pocket PC, and then select the Check for Updates option. The resulting dialog includes an option for indicating whether this should be done automatically when synchronizing with your device, and its value will reflect your latest decision.
The PC portion of the WISER installation can be uninstalled from your PC via the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs option. Select the "WISER for Pocket PC" entry in the list of programs, and press its remove button.
Pocket PC Uninstall
There are two ways to uninstall WISER from your Pocket PC:
1. On the device, go to StartàSettingsàSystemàRemove Programs. Select WISER from the list of programs, and then select Remove.
2. If your device is connected to your PC, open your syncronization software (e.g., ActiveSync) and select ToolsàAdd/Remove Programs. A dialog listing the applications on your device is displayed. Find WISER and clear the checkbox.
WISER’s third party dependencies can be uninstalled in the same way IF you are sure that they are not needed by other applications on your device. For WISER versions 2.3 and later, this consists of “Microsoft .NET CF 2.0”. For earlier versions, this consisted of “Microsoft .NET Compact Framework” and Microsoft SQL CE 2.0.
NOTE: if upgrading WISER version 2.2 or earlier, the old system dependencies will not be automatically removed. If no other application requires them, you should manually remove them. Also note that WISER no longer requires “Microsoft .NET Compact Framework”, but DOES require “Microsoft .NET CF 2.0”.
On the download pages of the WISER web site (http://wiser.nlm.nih.gov), and at the end of the WISER setup program, users are encouraged to register if they have not already done so. Registration consists of subscribing to an e-mail list (the NLM-WISER ListServ), which is used to send important announcements about WISER, such as data updates, new functionality, bug fixes, and other important news.
Registration is optional, but because such WISER updates could be critical for the accurate and safe use of the information WISER provides, we strongly encourage our users to register. Only an e-mail address is required, and you can unsubscribe at any time. We will not release or use your information for any other purpose, and we assure you that any e-mail we send will be infrequent and concise.
WISER was designed for the standard Pocket PC display, that is, a rectangular, portrait oriented display (240x320 resolution, or a 480x640 VGA). It will adjust for alternate screen sizes and orientations, though certain parts of the interface will require scrolling of the screen that would not otherwise be required.
The WISER installer will attempt to install the .NET Compact Framework even if it is already on the device. On Windows Mobile 6.x devices, please ignore the error messages that result from this; the successful installation of WISER is unaffected.
Version 4.4 (3/9/2011)
· Data updates based on the latest HSBD, REMM, CIDRAP (biological agents), and EPA AEGL content
· performance improvement in display of data element form (building of view menu)
· bug fix: carcinogenicity menu item was linked to the wrong data
· addressed inconsistencies, general improvements in the view menu labels
Version 2.0.201 (01/13/05)
The Wireless Information System for Emergency Responders (WISER) is a system concept for providing First Responders at the scene of hazardous material incidents – chemical, biological, or radioactive – with integrated information, decision support, and communications. The WISER application assists First Responders in rapidly determining the substance involved, including aiding in the identification of unknown substances. Once a substance is identified, WISER quickly and conveniently provides critical information regarding the substance, allowing the necessary immediate actions to be taken to minimize the effects of the HAZMAT incident and thus save lives and protect the environment.
Substance information and identification properties come from the Hazardous Substances Data Bank (HSDB), developed and maintained by the National Library of Medicine. WISER contains HSDB information and decision support logic for 400+ substances. The substances were chosen based on First Responder inputs, degree of chemical hazard, and historical frequency of incidents.
WISER currently exists as a standalone application for